Putting a little twist on a classic recipe for Valentine’s Day! This one is super easy to modify to fit a theme, since the dough holds food colourings well and you can shape it in almost any design you want.
This is also a great recipe at the moment since it’s EGG-FREE! 🙂 This also makes it easy to modify to be dairy-free/vegan. I typically use oat milk instead of regular milk, and the butter can be replaced with equal parts of margarine or coconut oil.
The recipe is the same as the one below, with one minor change… adding a few drops of pink food colouring to the milk at the very start. Easy as pie! Easy as pretzel…? I’m done writing. Here’s a video!!
And here’s a video showing the full process for the regular pretzels, that may be helpful if this is your first time making them:
Soft Pretzels with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup milk warm
- 2¼ tsp yeast
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2½ cups flour plus more, as needed
- 3 tbsp baking soda
- 2 cups water hot
- 1 tbsp butter melted
- chunky sea salt for sprinkling, to taste
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- Whisk yeast and white sugar into warm milk, and let stand for 10 minutes. Yeast should activate and mixture should be bubbly.
- Using the dough attachment on a stand mixer (or by hand), mix in brown sugar, melted butter, salt, and about half of the flour.
- Add remaining flour slowly, allowing it to fully combine before adding more. You may need to add more than the 2½ cups if the dough is too sticky. It should form a smooth dough that pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a clean towel, and let rest in a warm place for about an hour.
- After the dough has risen and doubled in size, preheat the oven to 450°.
- On a floured surface, divide the dough into 6 equal portions. Roll each one into a long rope, twisting to form a pretzel shape. You want these to be thin – they will rise as they bake.
- Mix hot water and baking soda together. Dunk each pretzel twist into the baking soda bath before placing on baking sheets lined with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- Bake 8-10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Brush the pretzels with melted butter and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Whisk all ingredients together until smooth.