I came up with this recipe for coconut macaroons as a way to include some naturally gluten-free options in my holiday cookie boxes for friends. These macaroons are soft, moist, and bursting with coconut flavour, making them a hit with everyone who tries them. Plus, with their snowy white appearance, they’re the perfect addition to any holiday dessert table. Whether you’re hosting a big party or just looking for a tasty treat to enjoy with your family, these coconut macaroons are never a bad idea!
Important note, RE macarons vs macaroons:
Macaroons and macarons are two popular French desserts that are often mistaken for each other due to their similar names. However, there are some key differences between the two. Macaroons are made with shredded coconut and are typically soft, moist, and chewy. They are often shaped into small balls or rounds and can be flavoured with a variety of ingredients, such as chocolate or fruit. In contrast, macarons are made with ground almonds and have a more delicate, crisp texture. They are typically made in the form of sandwich cookies, with a layer of filling (such as ganache or buttercream) between two almond-based cookies. Macarons are also available in a wide range of flavours and can be brightly coloured and decorated in various ways. While both macaroons and macarons are delicious treats, it’s important to know the difference between the two when ordering or making them.
This recipe for coconut macaroons is incredibly easy to make, with just a few simple steps. First, you’ll mix together the coconut, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla extract. Then, you’ll beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form and fold them into the coconut mixture. Finally, you’ll use a cookie scoop or spoon to drop rounded tablespoonfuls of the mixture onto a baking sheet and bake until lightly golden. The whole process takes just a few minutes of active prep time, and the end result is a batch of delicious and festive coconut macaroons that everyone will love!
Here’s a short video showing the recipe steps:
Coconut Macaroon Snowballs
- 800 grams unsweetened shredded coconut
- 300 mL sweetened condensed milk
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- White chocolate for melting and decorating
- White sprinkles for decorating
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the coconut, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture until well combined.
- Use a cookie scoop or spoon to drop rounded tablespoonfuls of the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving about 1 inch of space between each one.
- Bake the macaroons for 20-24 minutes, or until they are lightly golden on the bottom.
- Remove the macaroons from the oven and let them cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To decorate the macaroons, melt some white chocolate by microwaving the chocolate in 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval, until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over the top of the cooled macaroons using a spoon or a piping bag. You can also use a fork to create a zigzag pattern.
- While the chocolate is still warm, sprinkle the macaroons with white sprinkles. The sprinkles will stick to the chocolate as it hardens.
- Let the chocolate harden completely before serving the macaroons.