As a chocolate lover, I am always on the lookout for new and indulgent treats to satisfy my cravings. These truffles are the perfect solution – rich, creamy, and oh-so-decadent. Not only are they a hit at holiday parties, but they also make for a delightful gift; who wouldn’t love a box of homemade chocolate truffles?
So far, I have made these truffles in four luxurious flavours: hazelnut, pistachio, sea salt, and raspberry.
These truffles are easy to make, with just three simple ingredients: heavy cream, semisweet chocolate, and unsalted butter. The hardest part is waiting for the truffle mixture to firm up in the refrigerator, but the end result is well worth it. And the best part is that you can choose from four delicious flavours: hazelnut, pistachio, sea salt, or raspberry. Simply mix in your desired flavourings before refrigerating, then roll the mixture into balls and coat with chopped nuts, cocoa powder, or freeze dried raspberry.
Here is a set that I made that were half raspberry, and half sea salt black cocoa. YUM.
But don’t let these flavour options confine you – the recipe is easily adaptable to other ideas. Consider adding a teaspoon of your favourite extract or emulsion (like coffee, orange, or peppermint) to the truffle mixture before refrigerating. Or, get creative with your toppings – try rolling the truffles in sprinkles, crushed cookies, or coconut flakes. The possibilities are endless!
Include these truffles in your holiday cookie boxes or gift baskets for an extra special touch… or just make them for yourself. I know I will!
Here’s a quick video showcasing all the steps:
And here is a lil vid of the process for the raspberry version:
Chocolate Truffles 3 Ways: Hazelnut, Pistachio, and Sea Salt
- 1 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 450 g semisweet chocolate chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
Flavourings (choose one for each portion of the truffle mixture):
- 1 teaspoon hazelnut emulsion or extract
- 1 teaspoon pistachio emulsion or extract
- 1 tablespoon sea salt flakes
Toppings (optional, choose one for each flavour of truffle):
- Chopped hazelnuts
- Chopped pistachios
- Cocoa powder
- In a medium saucepan or microwave-safe bowl, heat the cream until it begins to simmer (this can be done on the stove over medium heat or in the microwave in 30-second increments, stirring after each interval).
- Remove the pan or bowl from the heat and add the chocolate. Let it sit for a minute, then stir until the chocolate is fully melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Stir in the butter until it is fully incorporated.
- Divide the truffle mixture into three equal portions.
- Flavour each portion of the truffle mixture with one of the flavourings listed above (hazelnut emulsion/extract, pistachio emulsion/extract, or sea salt). Mix well to combine.
- Cover the truffle mixture with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until firm.
- Once the truffle mixture is firm, use a small cookie scoop or a spoon to scoop out rounded tablespoons of the mixture. Roll the mixture into balls between your palms.
- If making the hazelnut or pistachio truffles, place one nut at the centre of each ball of truffle mixture before rolling it into a ball.
- If using a topping, roll the truffles in the topping of your choice (chopped hazelnuts, pistachios, or cocoa powder).
- Place the truffles on a parchment-lined baking sheet and refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Store the truffles in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Enjoy!