Parties are more fun with funfetti! These cupcakes are light and fluffy, with a rich chocolate ganache centre. Ideal for gatherings as they are a crowd pleaser, hitting both the vanilla and chocolate lovers.
Funfetti Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 2 whole eggs room temperature
- 1 egg white room temperature
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 tbsp sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt)
- ½ cup buttermilk room temperature
- ¼ cup rainbow sprinkles
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 2 cups icing sugar sifted
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Prepare cupcake tin by filling with liners and spraying with cook spray.
- Beat butter and sugar together using the paddle attachment of your mixer.
- Drizzle in oil, while mixing on low.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until light and fluffy.
- Mix in vanilla bean paste and sour cream.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Alternate adding dry mixture and buttermilk, mixing until just combined. Do not overmix! Fold in sprinkles by hand.
- Using an ice cream scoop (3" is best), fill the cupcake liners about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 24 minutes.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool fully before frosting.
- Make buttercream according to instructions (check the "Classic American Buttercream Recipe" page!)
- Microwave the heavy cream in a bowl for 30 seconds, until hot.
- Add in semi-sweet chocolate chips and let stand for about a minute, to soften up.
- Stir until smooth and fully combined.
- Using a piping tip or apple corer, punch out the middle of the cupcake. Fill the hole with 1 teaspoon of ganache, and place the cored cupcake back on top.
- Fill a piping bag fitted with any tip (I use Wilton 1M). Starting in the middle of the cupcake, pipe a ring of frosting spiraling outwards to create a rosette. Repeat as many times as needed to create the desired height.
- Top with a few more sprinkles and enjoy!
Submit your review
FINALLY. An *awesome* vanilla cupcake recipe. I omitted the sprinkles for a plain vanilla cupcake. I also used 1.5 tsp vanilla extract instead; I think next time I'll do 2tsp for more of a vanilla flavour! The texture incredibly fluffy without being gummy/spongey and I 10/10 recommend!